Thursday, August 21, 2008

Surprise Packages



Surprise Packages

By Nancy Anderson, Lael Littke, Carroll Hofeling Morris
(Deseret Book, 2008)

Once in awhile an LDS novel comes along that is completely refreshing. Surprise Packages will, you guessed it, surprise you.

Surprise Packages is the third installment of The Company of Good Women series. It’s a story of three women who met at BYU Education week, then became lifelong friends through thick and thin. The authors themselves have self-proclaimed themselves to be Crusty Old Broads—just as the three female characters in their books.

Deenie, Juneau and Erin live in different parts of the country and lead different lives. But they write emails, make phone calls, and get together on mini-vacations, keeping their friendship alive. Their challenges and triumphs mirror real-life situations, yet I found that the solutions they came up with to handle what came their way was many times truly inspiring. I found myself reflecting on the why’s and what’s of my own life, and where I can be better and make more of a difference.

Surprise Packages was truly a delight, surprising me time and time again.

Surprise Packages is available at Deseret Book.

4 comments:

Tristi Pinkston said...

I enjoyed this book too -- thanks for reviewing it!

Carroll said...

It's great to hear that you found the last book in our series inspiring! That was our hope when we were writing it.

We just got back from signing at the BYU Bookstore during Education Week. It was nice to see how many women were completely delighted that the last book of the series is out. After working so hard for three years, we can rest a bit. But only a bit. :)

Becky said...

I am so excited I found this blog! I just finished the whole Twilight series this week and have found my love of reading again and wanted to find some more "clean" books. I am excited to start reading all these wonderful books!

Lael said...

Thank you for your nice comments. We three authors discovered a lot about ourselves as we worked through the problems of the three friends in our series. It was quite an adventure!

A Night on Moon Hill by Tanya Parker Mills

Review by Heather B. Moore Award-winning author, Tanya Parker Mills (2009 Indie Book Award Winner for The Reckoning ), delive...