Monday, November 19, 2007

Nothing to Regret by Tristi Pinkston


I love a well written historical fiction novel and this did not disappoint. From the eyes of a Japanese American we see what it was like to live in America during a time of hatred and people being scared. I hate racial prejudice (I have an Asian son and a Black son) so his book hit home with me.
BOOK DESCRIPTION:
Ken Sugihara was a student at Berkeley at the time of Pearl Harbor. He is shocked to hear about the attack, but even more shocked when he discovers that all people of Japanese ancestry in the United States, especially those living on the West Coast, are now considered suspects in the attack. He and his parents are taken from their home and sent to a relocation center in the Utah Desert.

While living in Topaz, Ken's old friend Colonel Beaumont comes to see him, and asks him if he will go on a mission of espionage to Japan to hunt down information on Japanese aircraft. Ken is reluctant at first to serve the country that wrongfully imprisoned him, but realizes that he has a chance to make a difference, and agrees to go. The experiences he has change his life forever.

This is a story of prejudice and acceptance, dignity under the worst conditions, and the power of the Atonement to heal us all.

6 comments:

Heather Moore said...

I read this book a couple of years ago. It's definitely an eye-opener. I'm not of the WWII generation but my grandparents are. Prejudices still exist. This book is an excellent presentation of the other side of the story.

Tristi Pinkston said...

I didn't know you were reviewing the book -- thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Jennifer said...

Hey Tristi,
I don't review books just submit what I read (if I liked it). I saw your book on your web site and it caught my attention so I purchased it without any recommendation (a rarity). I loved it!!

Tristi Pinkston said...

I'm glad you did! There should be a sequel out sometime next year.

Jennifer said...

I look forward to reading the sequel.

Heather Moore said...

I can't wait for the sequel too. I love novels that make me see the world in a new light.

A Night on Moon Hill by Tanya Parker Mills

Review by Heather B. Moore Award-winning author, Tanya Parker Mills (2009 Indie Book Award Winner for The Reckoning ), delive...