Monday, October 22, 2007

BLUE by Joyce Moyer Hostetter




Review by me, Emily
Deliciously Clean Reads


Joyce Moyer Hostetter sent me a copy of her book, BLUE. Now, I get a lot of books for review. Sometimes I love them. Sometimes they don't really resonate with me for one reason or another. BLUE is one of those books that took me by surprise (because it was so wonderful) and shook me to the core. I laughed. I cried. And you know what? It doesn't even have any fantasy elements in it. My favorite books are almost always fantasy. This is a book about Ann Fay Honeycutt, and what it was like to be a young teen in the forties. Wow.


Here's the description from the jacket flap:


"When her daddy is sent off to fight Hitler, Ann Fay Honeycutt puts on the blue overalls he has given her. Now, at thirteen, she's the "man of the house," in charge of tending the large vegetable garden and watching out for her younger sisters and brother. It's hard work, but Ann Fay is managing until a polio epidemic strikes. At first she relies on the newspaper for information about the disease, but all too soon she knows its devastating effects firsthand. As the challenges grow, Ann Fay's resourcefulness and toughness grow as well."


When I finished reading BLUE, I wasn't ready for the experience to end, so I asked Joyce Moyer Hostetter some questions about it. To read the review, please visit my blog, Deliciously Clean Reads.

2 comments:

Heather Moore said...

Wow, I've never heard of this author or this book. I'll have to look it up. Thanks for the recommendation.

Leigh Russell said...

One question - why would you want to spend time folding socks when you have so many more interesting ways in which to spend your time? I'll look up your books. Thank you

A Night on Moon Hill by Tanya Parker Mills

Review by Heather B. Moore Award-winning author, Tanya Parker Mills (2009 Indie Book Award Winner for The Reckoning ), delive...