Thursday, June 28, 2007

Sheep's Clothing by Josi Kilpack



Recently I read Sheep's Clothing by Josi Kilpack. The main character, Kate, was someone I could relate to and that's probably why it made the story a little eerie. When her daughter, Jesse, starts to chat online with a child predator, things start escalate.

What parents wouldn't be horrified if they found out their child was being solicited by a 40+ man posing as a 13-year old girl?

The book takes you through 16-year old Jesse's journey of insecurity and how she turns to a friend "Emily" who she meets online. We also catch a glimpse of Kate, Jesse's mother, who is trying to be the "all" for her six children, her husband . . . but essentially falls short when she doesn't pay close enough attention to the changes in her daughter's life.

Of course it can happen to anyone. And it does. So that's why I really appreciated the Author Notes that Kilpack added at the end of her book. They detail resources that parents can use to help prevent internet predators from infiltrating their homes.

I definately think Sheep's Clothing is an excellent book for parents and teenagers to read together. It will open up the line of communication of becoming educated about internet predators.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i really liked this book. it kept me up all night.

Karlene said...

Heather beat me to it. I also did a review of
Sheep's Clothing.

Jennifer said...

I loved this book. It really hit home as I have 12 & 14 year old daughters and it reminded me to keep an eye on what they were doing on the computer.

A Night on Moon Hill by Tanya Parker Mills

Review by Heather B. Moore Award-winning author, Tanya Parker Mills (2009 Indie Book Award Winner for The Reckoning ), delive...