Thursday, June 21, 2007

Uglies by Scott Westerfield


I'm new to contributing to this blog, so I hope this book hasn't been done before. I just read Uglies for my book group. Lately we've been reading a lot of YA and I've found it to be quite fun.

Uglies is a futuristic novel that takes place centuries after our civilization (we're referred to as the Rusties). It took me a few chapters to really get into the language of this new world, but once I clued in, it became a great read. The main character is Tally, and she is nearing her 16th birthday. In her world, when someone turns 16, he/she undergoes a series of operations to be made pretty. Then the teenager goes and lives in Pretty Town, doing nothing but having fun and going to parties.

Tally meets another girl about to turn 16 who doesn't want to turn pretty. This girl, Shay, introduces Tally to a whole new way of thinking. Tally begins to second-guess her desire to become pretty.

Uglies is the first book in a trilogy. This book will be enjoyable for grades 6 and up.

5 comments:

Heather Moore said...

I just learned that the 4th book in this series will be out in October. I've got to catch up.

Karlene said...

I just finished Uglies and rushed over here to post my review and...should have guessed. Heather beat me again.

It seems that Heather and I read a lot of the same books. It is now my goal in life to read and review one before she does. :)

You can read my review here.

Heather Moore said...

Have you read The Pretties? I want to read that next. But you can post it first :)

Karlene said...

I'm just waiting for my daughter to finish Pretties and then it's my turn. And after I finish HP #7. But I'm a fast reader. Probably some time next week...

You do know that I'm joking about you always beating me to the post, right? I was telling a friend about it and she said, "What if she thinks you're serious?!?"

Heather Moore said...

Oh no, it's all in good fun! In fact I go over and read your reviews. They're great! We need to get all those lurkers out there to start making comments!

A Night on Moon Hill by Tanya Parker Mills

Review by Heather B. Moore Award-winning author, Tanya Parker Mills (2009 Indie Book Award Winner for The Reckoning ), delive...