Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

Since this is a book referral site, and not a book review site, I've only posted about books I really like. But I came across this one that is getting a lot of hype and positive review because it's being released as a movie in December, and I really feel a duty to post a warning about it.

You can read my full review here, but the thing I'm most concerned about is that this is advertised as a children's book/movie. In my opinion, it is definitely NOT for children. It is dark and brutal, features violence against children, has a very detailed description of a fight between two humanized bears, and then it goes off on a religious tangent that is both ridiculous and disturbing.

I'm not saying don't read it, because it has some good writing—but be prepared. And definitely read it before letting your children and teens read it or watch the movie.

I'd be interested to hear if others who've read it feel the same way as I do, or if they have a different perspective.

3 comments:

Heather Moore said...

Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't heard of this book, but I'm sure as soon as the movie trailer is advertised, my kids will be asking to see it. Hopefully it will be rated PG-13 so the other parents will have fair warning.

Kerry said...

I really liked this book, and I had to read the other two in the series as well. I agree that they are a bit on the dark side, and they do have some adult themes in them, so for adults I think they are enjoyable. As for kids reading them, i think the older the better. Even then, I think that some of the issues will go over their heads. They will probably just enjoy the story.

Porters said...

I loved The Golden Compass but had some issues with books 2 and 3 The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. I agree with the original post that some of the material is for an older audience. But then again, I love the Harry Potters and I wouldn't let my young children read those. So take it for what it is, but my advice is not to look too much into it- it is a great fantasy read. :)

A Night on Moon Hill by Tanya Parker Mills

Review by Heather B. Moore Award-winning author, Tanya Parker Mills (2009 Indie Book Award Winner for The Reckoning ), delive...