Friday, July 6, 2007

Secrets in Zarahemla by Sariah S. Wilson

In Sariah S. Wilson's Secrets in Zarahemla, suspense and romance mingle in an intriguing tale. I particularly liked the way Wilson kept the story moving at a brisk pace. The heroine, Kiah, was both strong and vulnerable, and Kiah and hero Jeran worked together to help each other, with Kiah sometimes rescuing Jeran and Jeran returning the favor. They needed each other and respected each other and their romance was believable.

Wilson skillfully depicts the villain, Corahan, as a man who didn't intend to plunge into evil like he did, but whose greed, moral weakness and lust for power (and for Kiah) lead him deeper into darkness until by the end he's lost all humanity. I also enjoyed the character of Shabana, Kiah's sister-in-law, opposite and nemesis.

Wilson has obviously studied her Central American setting in great detail; she paints vivid images of the city and the jungle surrounding it and gives readers a fascinating picture of life in Book of Mormon times. I recommend Secrets in Zarahemla.

7 comments:

Heather Moore said...

This is a fun romance. I'd recommend it for YA too.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Hey, where'd this cover come from? I saw the book at Seagull and it had people on the front.

Heather Moore said...

I've seen this cover before. I think it was in their catalog before it was released. The actual cover does have 2 people on it. (Although I secretly like this original one).

Stephanie Black said...

Oh my goodness, I didn't even realize I'd posted the wrong cover! There, now I fixed it. Thanks, Tristi, for pointing it out!

Unknown said...

I was just doing a double take here, until I read Stephanie's comment. Definitely same cover as on my copy :-)

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. So much of the detail made me feel like I was in the middle of the jungle and experiencing everything for myself. Great story, and good character development. I felt for Kiah and Jeran at every plot twist. Highly recommended.

Anonymous said...

I am not even done with this book and i absolutely love it! it is definately on my top 3 list!

Sandra said...

I enjoyed this book. It was well written. I always like seing a strong female character. I liked that Kiah didn't wait around for a man to come rescue her from life.

A Night on Moon Hill by Tanya Parker Mills

Review by Heather B. Moore Award-winning author, Tanya Parker Mills (2009 Indie Book Award Winner for The Reckoning ), delive...