Monday, April 21, 2008

The 13th Reality




Everything is boring to my 11 year old daughter. "Why don't you read a book?" I say to her. "Reading is boring." So when I picked up The 13th Reality, I was hoping she'd like it. Well, I found myself reading it with her, just as anxious to find out what happened next in the book. The characters are vibrant and endearing. Names like Atticus Higgenbottom, Norbert, Mistress Jane, Mr. Chu, still stand out in my mind. Strange letters, complex riddles, and the new reality were all captivating.

Author James Dashner has a fabulous imagination and a very enjoyable writing style. It's only a matter of time before it hits the bestseller lists. My 13 year old son recently snatched it. Looks like we'll need more than one copy because my 8 year old is dying to read it too. It's a hit at my house. For adults and children alike, The 13th Reality is worth every minute.

From Kirkus Reviews:
THE JOURNAL OF CURIOUS LETTERS A boy . . . a mysterious letter . . . twelve clues . . . a girl . . . a dad . . . two very strange strangers. These are just the basic ingredients in this adventure served up by Dashner in what is the start of a series that will capture the imagination of young and old alike. Atticus Higginbottom (Tick to all who know him) is smart, well-adjusted and something of a loner at school, preferring his family, the library and the Internet to his classmates. So he s surprised to receive a letter postmarked in Macadamia, Alaska, from someone he s never even heard of. But he s intrigued and makes a commitment to join with his correspondent to save many lives. Though there are chunks of text that are overwritten, the telling is generally laced with a strong sense of humor and a sure hand at plot; the author is plainly in tune with today s fan base. Let the adventure begin! (Science fiction. 10-12)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Heather you beat me to this one. I finished the book last night and loved it. I liked the fact that he left you hanging but not so much that waiting for the next book will be difficult. Also the dad in the book is a positive role model. If you go to James Dashners blog you can find links to two reviews about the book. One from the Chicago Sun (jamesdashner dot blogspot dot com).

A Night on Moon Hill by Tanya Parker Mills

Review by Heather B. Moore Award-winning author, Tanya Parker Mills (2009 Indie Book Award Winner for The Reckoning ), delive...